Wednesday 31 August 2011

To Have.

"The scars of your love remind me of us. They keep me thinking that we could of had it all. The scars of your love, they leave me breathless. I can't help but feeling, we could of had it all..." -Adele, "Rolling in the Deep"

I'll admit it. I'm a Glee addict. While the plot and scripts have gone to the dogs for many reasons, I can't help but turn up the volume when I listen to one of their songs. The beautiful harmonies play up my emotions and the remakes of old tunes (especially the many Journey remakes and mash-ups) make me love them all over again. I had Pandora playing this morning and a Journey song came on reminding me of other Glee songs. Hopping quickly to YouTube, I began listening to their rendition of Adele's "Rolling in the Deep". Let me say, in pure music appreciation, it's a beautiful number. The two voices of Lea Michele and Jonathan Groff come together in a sultry harmony filled with emotion... it's a beautiful song. As they belt out, "We could of had it all..." I stopped. While my emotions were beginning to think back on times when I too thought, "I could of had it all", I was brought up short. I do have it all.

Not in the physical sense. We're living off of savings right now, in an area that often makes me recheck if the doors are locked. We are planning and waiting before we can even think about having another child. There are many trials that could bury me in self-pity and regret. But all I feel is joy. Joy because my Savior gave up heaven to save me from hell. That He intercedes for me without ceasing (Hebrews 7:25) and gives me peace beyond all understanding when in sin I would be shaking with anxiety (Philippians 4:7). I have joy in eternal life because God united me to His death (Romans 6:5). To twist Adele's words, the scars of Christ's love remind me of God's eternal love and it leaves me breathless. Nothing that I do or have done deserves salvation (Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23), but because of the righteous blood of Christ that covers me (Isaiah 61:10, Romans 4:7) I do indeed have it all. Eternal life and freedom from death. Praise You Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment