Monday 5 September 2011

rambling

Do you ever find, it's harder to figure out a title than it is to write? You want something that pulls the reader in with curiosity. They tend to depend upon your mood, how abstract you are, and a multitude of other factors.

Tonight, I'll be honest, I have nothing to write about. I just sent out our monthly newsletter (if you'd like one, let me know and I'll put you on our list!). And I'm in the middle of a reading lull. I've picked up a book that is simply written, and that my husband loves. But after hearing of war and committed love, it's hard to get going with it. I'm nearly tempted to rereading "Little Women" for literally the 13th time just to cleanse my palate. So tonight I sit with a warm cup of chamomile tea, a quiet clean home, and my thoughts.

My thoughts are what's stalling me from doing anything. I glanced over at the movies (which I've now put in alphabetical order), and think, "I'd watch one, but Joe would be home before it's over and I would end up only watching a bit of it." I stare up at the bookshelves thinking, "I could read a different book... but they all look boring." I even eye my thank-you cards only to say to myself, "I need to get their address before I can write it." Thoughts are halting. I meditate on texts like Proverbs 31:27 "She looks well to the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness." But I have no projects... It's not like I can make clothes for my household (it's more expensive now to make clothes than to just buy them). But idleness consumes me. I've straightened the cushions, I've washed the dishes, I've even washed my face. So... what do I do?

These are times when Satan attacks. Inviting movies and TV series to get hooked to. "Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." (Philippians 4:8). This is a high command. That's what keeps me from shows like Grey's Anatomy, Glee, or Friends. So... I put down the computer, and therefore the Facebook, and pick up my husband's book.

No comments:

Post a Comment